Friday, February 6, 2009

OOPS!

This is for you Laura. . .
When I was about 13 I told one of my best friends she had been an accidental addition to her family. "I was not!" was her adamant reply. I insisted that I was right. Her oldest sibling was 18 years her senior and the closest sibling was something like 8 years older than her. I knew she had been an accident! Insistent that I couldn't possibly be right, we went to her mother and asked. Her mother's reply, "You were a pleasant surprise dear." Ha! I was right!Imagine my shock when 19 years later, I would find myself with my own pleasant surprise! My last 2 children are only 13 months apart, and believe me; I don't use the word surprise lightly!! It was very embarrassing to have my blood test while carrying my 3 month along in tow! Let's just say I got some nice smirks that day!!Recently, I found out my cousin is pregnant with their 3rd child even though they had planned only 2! "Surprise!"It seems to me many children come into the world without so much as a twinkle in the eye to prepare their families!So how many pregnancies actually are planned?According to American Pregnancy Association there are about 6 million pregnancies in the U.S. each year, 47% of these are UNPLANNED!! Incredible! So if you find yourself with a little unexpected delivery, don't feel too bad, you're not alone, at 47%, almost half of the babies born each year came about in a similar manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment