Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Midwife?

I have so many women ask me why I preferred to see a midwife during my third pregnancy, and why I liked it so much more.  I have two words for them: MORE PERSONALIZED!

The attention and care of a midwife far surpassed that of what I received at my Doctors visits with my other two children.  My midwife took as much time as needed to answer my questions, and didn't have appointments stacked on top of each other which always made me feel rushed.

I loved bringing my children with me and having them feel welcome.  My midwife remembered my children, along with events that were happening in their lives.  She took the time to make them feel involved in my pregnancy, and they loved her as much as she loved them.

I loved going to my appointments and having her talk to me about so many things my doctor never did.  She would give me options on birthing, and when I decided to go natural, she walked me through what it would be like and encouraged me.  When I tried to go natural with another child my doctor discouraged me and told me that I couldn't do it, and that it would be better just to be medicated.

My midwife could do everything that my doctor could.  She prescribed me medication when I was sick, and ordered any tests that I needed.  I felt like she was a doctor, a really good doctor.

The biggest difference came during delivery.  She was there while I was in labor, and stayed with me after I had the baby.  She helped me take a shower and clean up.  She watched over the baby and made sure that he was alright.  And, she called me at home the next day just to check in.

Do your research, but I highly recommend a midwife!

No comments:

Post a Comment